Early Childhood Development
Focus on iThemba believes in the power of Education and more research is highlighting the significance of the first six years of a child’s life in terms of crucial brain development. We currently work alongside ten Pre-Schools in the Valley of 1000 Hills and Molweni areas to ensure tomorrow’s generation gets the best start today.
- The model aims to upgrade existing Pre-Schools to become legal and sustainable businesses (five have now reached this level).
- The children receive quality ECD care enabling them to thrive at later Foundation Phase Schooling.
- The Principals and teachers receive support, training and mentorship. The model is holistic in nature with its core strength being our ECD Monitor, Khanya Gama. Khanya spreads her time across the various Pre-Schools and at our Focus on iThemba offices. Her role is vital as she provides support and motivation and ensures that the training is being implemented correctly. The ten Pre-Schools we are in partnership with are: Embo Child Educare Centre; Swelihle Pre-School; Sizakancane Pre-School; Siyajabula Pre-School; Entokozweni Pre-School; Sthandokuhle Pre-School; Smiley Kids Day-Care, Siyabaphephisa Pre-School; Mba’lenhle Pre-School and Leth’usizo Pre-School.
We continue to partner with excellent, respected organizations to achieve our goals:
– ECD TEACHER TRAINING – NELRU (8 Principals and 25 teachers received training in 2018)
– MANAGEMENT TRAINING – Ikhono Business Solutions
– NUTRITION – Joint Aid Management (JAM)
– EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS & EQUIPMENT – GROW with Educare and The Unlimited Child
Project Joy: New Container Classrooms, Renewed Joy
With such a tremendous need in our community for quality education for very young children and research continually highlighting the importance of learning and nutrition during a child’s first five years, our team is incredibly grateful for all our valued Project Joy partners. After a year of fundraising the team has reached the Phase 1 fundraising target and will commence with the container classroom project for Entokozweni Pre-School in February 2019.
Entokozweni, one of Focus on iThemba’s partnering Pre-Schools, is located just a few minutes from our iThemba Campus and is currently located in an existing church building which is cramped, dark and has poor ventilation. The teachers need to pack up the school every Friday and set up again on Monday so the church can function over the weekends.
“My dream is to see our school in a suitable building with a proper structure and with facilities to develop a child holistically,” said Mrs Bonisiwe Gwala, Principal and Owner. “We are so happy that we will soon have a better facility for our children.”
The architect designed improvements, utilise five insulated shipping containers, three for classrooms, one for a kitchen and one for an office. For the first time the children will benefit from flushing toilets, an AstroTurf play area, sand pit and a much-needed jungle gym.
This has been a wonderful story of collaboration and we thank our key forward-thinking partners for investing in the school;
- Bidvest SACD
- Container World
- Kerry Ingredients
- Grow with EduCare
- Wallenius Wilhelmsen Solutions
- Cotswold Leisure Centre and Cotswold Downs Estate
- GMA Foundation
- Luke Bailes
- Sarah and Willim Hennessy
- Fry’s Metal
- EXR Construction
- Spar Group
- Mike Hankinson
- 6 Bar Construction
- Key Group
- Ethekwini EW Consult
- Jocelyn van der Walt
- Selwyn Green
Together we are so much stronger! Warm thanks are extended for all donations in-kind and the advice and wisdom of individuals including;
- Container World
- Lead Architects
- Round Table
- GROW with EduCare
- Northside Electrical
- Ed Weekly
- John Clarkson
- Megan Harker
To partner with us for our Phase 2 requirements please do be in contact.