Early Childhood Development
Focus on iThemba believes in the power of Education and more research is highlighting the significance of the first six years of a child’s life in terms of crucial brain development. We currently work alongside eight Pre-Schools in the Valley of 1000 Hills and Molweni areas to ensure tomorrow’s generation gets the best start today. From 2019 we are expanding this reach and will partner with an additional two schools.
- The model aims to upgrade existing Pre-Schools to become legal and sustainable businesses (four have now reached this level).
- The children receive quality ECD care enabling them to thrive at later Foundation Phase Schooling.
- The Principals and teachers receive support, training and mentorship. The model is holistic in nature with its core strength being our ECD Monitor, Khanya Gama. Khanya spreads her time across the various Pre-Schools and at our iThemba of offices. Her role is vital as she provides support and motivation and ensures that the training is being implemented correctly. The eight Pre-Schools we are in partnership with are: Embo Child Educare Centre; Swelihle Crèche; Sizakan- cane Crèche; Siyajabula Crèche; Entokozweni Crèche; Sthandokuhle Crèche; Smiley Kids Day-Care and Siyabaphephisa Crèche.
We continue to partner with excellent, respected organizations to achieve our goals:
– ECD TEACHER TRAINING – NELRU (8 Principals and 25 teachers received training in 2018)
– MANAGEMENT TRAINING – Ikhono Business Solutions
– NUTRITION – Joint Aid Management (JAM)
– EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS & EQUIPMENT – The Unlimited Child and GROW with Educare