Meet the Founders
“Our Vision is to bring Hope to all who come into contact with Focus on iThemba.”
- Established in April 2003 Focus on iThemba (RF) NPC is an accredited non-profit, public benefit (18A) organisation, which aims to restore Hope in people’s lives.
- This inspirational organisation was born out of a vision of Danie van den Heever, Founder of Focus on the Family Africa, and his wife Judy as a response to the devastating HIV / AIDS pandemic.
- Danie is a retired Durban businessman and currently the Executive Chairman, leading Focus on iThemba in conjunction with the Board of Directors, together with a dedicated management team and volunteers. The Executive Chairman and Board do not receive a salary.
- Focus on iThemba opened its first foster care home in Hillcrest, KwaZulu-Natal in January 2006.
- Each cluster foster home has up to six children, with a committed married couple as mom and dad. Currently there are two homes on the iThemba Campus. An Esther Model family home is located off-campus in Hillcrest. The House of Stars, on the iThemba Campus, houses young adults who are studying and / or working and transitioning to independent adulthood.
- In the United States, Focus on iThemba has a fund raising organisation 501(c)3 entitled Friends of iThemba offering tax benefits. Friends of iThemba is accredited by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.
- The property was previously known as the All Africa Bible College. The WinShape foundation together with friends from various parts of the world enabled us to purchase this 48 acre property and kick start the iThemba Homes (Cluster Foster Care Homes).
- Focus on iThemba works closely with the Department of Social Development, who place children in our homes.
- The iThemba Academy opened its doors at the beginning of 2008 and aims to offer holistic foundation phase education to children from the impoverished Embo and Valley of 1000 Hills communities. There are 80 children enrolled in the school.
- Focus on iThemba actively engages with the local Early Childhood Development Centres in terms of sharing knowledge and skills to offer quality early childhood development to the Embo Community.
- Focus on iThemba is a respected and reputable non-profit organisation. All financials are audited by independent auditors.
- The iThemba Campus is a core pillar. It is a priority to protect and develop the indigenous fauna and flora on the beautiful campus. The aim is to continue to be good custodians of biodiversity, using and protecting the land wisely and enhancing it for generations to come.